Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Aurangabad

So yesterday (Tuesday) after a week in Delhi, I hopped on the plane to Aurangabad!  I wasted most of the day yesterday sitting in the airport because I got my flight time wrong. Luckily I thought it was earlier than it was, so I didn't miss it but just had an extended period of reading time...

The flight was Air India, and I was amazed because they served a full meal on a flight that was less than two hours! I didn't actually eat this meal because I was not expecting it and had already eaten lunch by 3:00 PM, but it smelled pretty good. We flew over some beautiful, fluffy clouds once we got out of the Delhi smog.
Yesterday I was exhausted after sitting around doing nothing in the airport for so long, so after arriving at the hotel I pretty much just ate dinner and went to sleep after meeting with an overzealous hotel employee to arrange a trip to the Ellora cave temples for today. There is a beautiful, big pool in the center of the hotel though, so I might jump in for a swim later.

Woke up early this morning to shower and prepare to go to Ellora. Got down to breakfast a little after 7:00, as the buffet is included with the room. I wasn't really sure what was included in the buffet and what was separate, so I stuck to some chocos cereal with milk and a cup of fresh nimbu (sweet lime) juice. I've since come to the conclusion that the whole thing was the buffet, so tomorrow I might try some freshly chopped mango! We are in the heart of mango season right now.

Hopped in the car to Ellora at about 8:15 in order to get there by opening at 9:00 (morning is best because it is less hot and less crowded). The temples were remarkable. There are about 35 of them, with a mixture of Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain caves. They are all carved into the stone in the side of a mountain. It is sort of like an Indian version of Mesa Verde, but more spiritually centered. My favorite was probably Cave 10, which was a Buddhist cave with a huge domed meditation hall surrounded by thirty pillars. There was an older man there who had the key to the upstairs balcony and he took me through the hall and even sang a little chant to show me how beautifully the hall echoed.

Tomorrow I will head to Ajanta to see more caves temples and cave paintings, Sher-Gil's true delight!
Lots of love to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment